Sunday, June 07, 2009

Grace

When the solution is simple, God is answering. --Albert Einstein



Sometimes the hardest things to grasp are the simple things.
Someone pointed out to me recently that I seem to have a lack of grace for others. Of course my immediate response was defensive., "I am not!" Time passed and I realized that this was a very true statement and has been for quite some time.
I have worried over some things that I probably cannot change so much that I have driven my husband crazy! He responded, "Do you really think about this all the time?" No wonder I was so joyless! Usually I felt like this was simply a lack of faith in God to provide, as over and over my husband has to remind me, "Who is our provider?"
I work myself sick trying to "do my part" in being responsible for myself and expect the same from others. I started to realize that my work and worry was due to the fact I don't think God should provide for me because of failures, being irresponsible, etc. In my mind I thought, "Why would God even want to provide for me as often as I fail Him?" The truth is God should not do anything for any one of us but He does! This is grace, something I did not and never will deserve.
Paul says in Ephesians 1: 7, "In him we have redemption through his blood., the forgiveness of sin, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavishes on us." God has provided all I need through his son. Much more than I could ever deserve. I was dead in my sin but he has made me alive! I must live every day remembering how much he has given me. Not in how much I still owe him but how much I have in Him. I must let nothing convince me to earn that gift.
"For by grace you have been saved through faith, And it is not your doing but the gift of God (Ephesians 2 : 8)" Nothing I do can be good enough for God to save me but thankfully he does. What patience he has with me!

God, forgive me for my impatience with my myself and others. Let me recognize evidence of your grace daily. Let me take hold of Your grace so I might act gracefully to others. Forgive me for forgetting how abundantly You have lavished me with Your grace.

No comments: