Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Heroes?

Well our Internet is back up so I guess you have the privilege of listening to a rambling thought of mine.
I finished watching the first season of Heroes. The story begins when a group of seeming normal people find out they are extraordinary through a series of events. One man can fly. Another can read people's thoughts. Still one more has super strength. As the story continues to unfold, the heroes find out they all will take part in a major world altering event. Each person discovers how he or she can help save the world.
This show strikes a chord with so many of us who search for meaning and significance to our existence. I have wondered often long and hard about how I was made with a "special" purpose in mind that can be accomplished by no one but me. A hero if you want to think about it that way.
Maybe it is the little child in me that cries, "Notice what I can do that no one else can!" I even find myself among the body of believers thinking, "If only I could _____, I would be significant." I go on week by week believing in my heart that no one notices me. When someone actually does forget about me, this convinces me all the more.
It is then I am convinced of my hero ability, the power of invisibility. People forget about me, yes. It is good people trust me and do not feel threatened by me. It is not so positive when people fail to remember me. Or even in some instances flat out ignore me.
I know, I know God remembers me. He knew me before I was born (Psalm 139: 13). He sings a song of rejoicing over me (Zephaniah 3:17). I am the most precious thing to him. I am part of Him (Isaiah 62:3).
I know these things to be true. I also know if the body does not work together, the world dies.
Our mission is to save a world decaying from within. Our world rots away as sin destroys the perfect world our Father has made. The only hope we have is to look to God for answers on how we can work together and rely on Him.
The heroes encounter each other on that faithful day to find out--they need each other. They discover if they work alone, evil will destroy the world. If they don't purposefully and sacrificially use their abilities to the fullest, they will fail.
The same is true of the Church. If we deny we need each other, as I have done for so long because of the pain of rejection, the Church will fail. The purpose of the Church is the same our Lord's "to seek and save that which was lost." We have to believe in each other, and in our Lord's will, or all will be lost. Then we will be truly heroes and save the world.

And I remember
Yes he included me. Jesus included me. When the Lord said whosoever, he included me.

And that must be all I need.

No comments: